Communications and Public Affairs Officer, STA
To support the Solar Trade Association's public affairs and communications work.
Association Headquarters, currently at 53 Chandos Place, London WC2N 4HS.
Circa £28k per annum, dependent on experience.
The STA is the most influential UK solar trade body with an exceptional and proven track record of winning breakthroughs for the UK's solar industry. We represent both the solar photovoltaic (PV) and the solar thermal hot water heating industries.
We are looking for a dynamic Communications and Public Affairs Officer to represent the STA and its member companies. This is an exceptional opportunity to work at the heart of the UK solar industry, gain a real understanding of the solar sector and develop communications and advocacy skills. Applicants must be able to excel in a fast-paced environment and apply their talents across a wide range of functions, working within a small and committed team. This is an exciting role for someone who shares our passion to see solar move into the mainstream of energy generation in the UK.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Engaging with parliamentary processes and implementing the STA's public affairs strategy.
- Dealing with the media through reactive and proactive public relations work, drafting press releases and articles.
- Managing internal and external communications activities, including digital.
- Coordinating STA campaigns, projects and events as required.
- Supporting one or more of the STA's Working Groups.
- Liaising with key stakeholders and helping to forge partnerships to support the STA's advocacy work.
- Working with other members of the team to recruit and retain members of the STA.
- Line management duties.
- Other miscellaneous duties as required including supporting the STA CEO and team.
Essential Skills & Qualifications
- Experience in public relations, public affairs and communications at national, regional and local level
- Excellent written, spoken and interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Ability to multi-task and remain calm under pressure against tight deadlines
- Completer-finisher with excellent organisational and time management skills
- Flexible, adaptable and motivated - a real team player
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes
- Knowledge and understanding of parliamentary processes
- Knowledge of and/or interest in the solar industry and renewable energy
- Willingness to travel within the UK and attend events
- Line management experience
This is a full-time position, and will report to the Head of External Affairs.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to do a written exercise.
Please apply including a:
- covering letter of one page maximum setting out why you are an ideal candidate for this job
Closing date is 8th February. Please note applications without a covering letter will not be looked on favourably!