The Construction Manager is responsible for supporting the Project Manager in relation to the preparation, delivery and completion of the construction phase of each renewable energy projects to ensure compliance with the requirements set out in contracts, RES management systems and all project obligations.
Through the provision of construction and contractual expertise to the Project Manager, the Construction Manager will ensure that project objectives set by the Head of Projects (cost, time, safety, quality and environmental performance) are achieved during the construction phase of each project.
- Support to the Project Engineer and Design Manager in relation to construction considerations in the design of the project.
- Preparation and negotiation of construction contract documentation and interaction with procurement team for the delivery of the agreed procurement strategy for all projects. Including input into the EPC, turbine and full responsibility for production of the balance of plant contracts. Ensuring that feedback in relation to supplier performance is provided to the procurement department during and following construction.
- Drive to reduce construction costs through, timely procurement, value engineering, economic design and scope.
- Preparation of the construction budget, management of construction costs, forecasting cost to completion on a monthly basis and client reporting during and following construction (including any defect liability period).
- Preparation and maintenance of the construction programme prior to and during construction, including definition of key project milestone dates required for contracts.
- Direct functional management of the Construction Site Manager, following the assignment of the construction site management team to the project by the Head of Construction (who will remain the line manager for the construction site management team) and ensuring that the responsibilities of the site management team are achieved.
- Define requirements for and obtain construction insurances.
- Commercial and contractual administration of the construction contracts and subcontracts.
- Coordination of key completion milestone events including project energisation, contractual taking-over and internal handover of the project to the Generation Team.
- Management of contractual responsibility following completion of the construction phase of the project including testing, monitoring, validation and defect liabilities.
- Active promotion and demonstrable achievement of company safety leadership and sustainability objectives.
- Use lean processes to deliver on project objectives, reduce waste within the project delivery team and wider the wider group organisation
- Add value and reduce costs (DEVEX, CAPEX and OPEX) for projects wherever possible through efficient working, careful scoping, procurement and innovative engineering and design solutions
- Construction management or Civil Engineering qualification
- Relevant experience in a similar position
- Experience in managing project commercial obligations
- Experience in the identification and mitigation of Construction risks
- Experience of resource management
- Contract Management and Negotiation experience