Director, Business Development & Corporate Marketing
Location: San Diego, Los Angeles or Oakland
Mission: Accelerate the transition to a sustainable world powered by clean energy.
Our clean energy future depends on a strong, low-carbon economy that provides abundant jobs and business opportunities, a high quality of life and a clean, healthy environment. To bring about such a future, each of us must make wise choices now. The Center for Sustainable Energy® (CSE) provides people with information, incentives and opportunities to help make these choices easier. We work with policymakers, public agencies, local governments, utilities, business and civic leaders and individuals to transform the energy marketplace and beyond.
Center for Sustainable Energy is seeking a highly collaborative, strategic communicator with proven revenue development experience to oversee our revenue development and corporate marketing.
The Director of Business Development and Corporate Marketing is responsible for developing CSE’s pipeline of new business across the U.S. through government contracts, strategic partnerships, regional market development, consulting, fee for service and sponsorship revenue development as well as overseeing the organization’s branding, digital media assets, PR and corporate communications.
The Director oversees a team of 12 with 3 managers who are direct reports. This position is a member of the Executive team and participates in weekly organizational development and on-going strategy meetings and is responsible for providing quarterly updates to the Board of Directors.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for overseeing implementation of revenue development plan to support organization growth and existing operational requirements.
- Identify and lead strategic partner relationship management activities.
- Oversee proposal development, grants, new business pitches and QC/review process for corporate headquarters development activities.
- Oversee corporate marketing activities including brand management, strategic communications, PR, website, and social media.
- Responsible for assisting in the development of the strategic plan to focus and prioritize CSE new business opportunities and corporate positioning.
- Participate in financial forecasting, budgeting and staff development.
The ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree in public policy, business, or technology strongly preferred.
- 7-10 years of experience with clean energy project development / complex technology projects, public agencies, utilities, and/or technology OEMs.
- 5+ years of proven and demonstrated success with extended sales cycles, indirect sales, government contracting, relationship building and business planning.
- 5+ years showing significant experience in contract proposal writing and delivery of work product in a high stress short turn-around environment.
- Experience working and developing relationships with potential donors and Foundations for the purpose of providing grants and contributions.
- Experience in creating and leading a corporate marketing team responsible for establishing and maintaining solid brand awareness.
- Significant experience working with foundations, selling to public agencies and; knowledge of government contracting and the Federal Acquisition Regulations (F.A.R.).
- Experience with strategic account development and client relationship management.
- Proven leadership skills with experience managing and leading high impact teams.
- Experience in clean energy and related technologies, consulting sales and/or business development.
- Strong communicator, able to make effective “business case” through case studies, presentations sales/technical consulting pitches and or proposals.
- Entrepreneurial spirit as evidenced by a track record of accomplishing a lot on limited resources; experience with an “all hands on deck” environment; and ability to act nimbly and strategically to grow new markets, develop teams and foster relationships.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of Corporate Marketing, Communications/Public Relations to drive the organization’s strategic goals, including but not limited to business development, and program and policy support.
- Demonstrate skills and experience necessary to support and grow CSE’s brand awareness related to the expertise and services of CSE in key markets, both established and emerging.
- Have experience working across multiple programs, or channels, to support and enhance CSE’s market transformation mission and strengthen the organization’s position as an objective leader in the clean energy space.
- Ability to support the organization’s strategic planning process and help define potential opportunities.
- Ability to collaborate across multiple functional areas.
- Experience working with CRM systems, lead generation/management platforms, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Passion for CSE’s mission and approach.
CSE is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please send a resume and cover letter along with salary history via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.