Tidal Lagoon Power is leading the development of tidal lagoon technology within the UK. Initially focused on the development of a 320MW scheme in Swansea Bay, TLP aims to bring sustainability, reliability and long-term security to the UK energy mix via a network of UK lagoons. Key to our success is the high calibre of the people we hire.
Purose of the role:
We are looking to appoint a Fisheries Scientist to lead the delivery of fish surveys and fish impact assessments for tidal lagoons and associated projects throughout the UK. The post holder will provide technical fisheries support to the EIA team and input into the design and delivery of mitigation and compensation measures.
We are looking for a confident self-starter with excellent communication and teamwork skills able to take technical and commercial responsibility for all aspects of our future lagoon projects.This role would be based in our head office in Gloucester and would report to the Head of Fisheries.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities:
- Undertaking fisheries impact assessments for future lagoon projects, including responsibility for commercial and technical management of consultants.
- Delivering technical reviews of fisheries reports and quality assurance of deliverables, including fish impact modelling.
- Development of fisheries mitigation and compensation approaches – such as fish barrier removal and creation of compensatory habitat through managed realignment projects.
- Maintaining awareness of relevant fisheries science and legislative developments elsewhere and sharing with colleagues.
- Input associated with any fisheries licencing and consenting requirements and provision of support regarding associated assessments required in relation to Habitats Regulations Assessment and Water Framework Directive.
- Providing input to, and liaison with, the Fisheries Expert Topic Group and TLP Fisheries Peer Review Group as part of the Evidence Plan Process.
- Stakeholder consultation – building relationships with both statutory consultees and other groups/members of the public, including representation of Tidal Lagoon Power at external events.
- Liaison with other internal teams – in particular planning, engineering and Ecosystems Enhancement Programme (EEP) teams.
- Programme management – to ensure delivery programme is maintained.
- Procurement – tender review and evaluation for specialist support and survey work.
Skills, capabilities & knowledge:
- Degree in a relevant environmental discipline is essential with MSc or other post-graduate qualification in a related environmental area (particularly fisheries or marine ecology related subject) desirable.Experience in fisheries research, including survey design and delivery – including both freshwater and marine environments (in particular in relation to the energy or renewable energy sectors).
- Familiarity with the EIA process and able to carry out technical review of fisheries chapters and supporting reports. Strong report writing skills. Adept in use of appropriate statistical analyses and experience in computer modelling approaches for fish, including Individual Based Modelling, Life Cycle Modelling and population impact assessment. Knowledge of ecosystems approaches would also be welcomed.
- Previous experience and familiarity with the requirements of both national and international legislation including Eel Regulations.
- Habitats Regulations Assessment and Water Framework Directive.
- Experienced in the development of fisheries mitigation and compensation proposals, including engagement and liaison with statutory consultees.
- Knowledge and experience of fish monitoring programmes, technology and approaches – experience of fish tagging and tracking work particularly of interest, including licencing and consenting requirements.
- Commercially aware with experience of financial project management, proposal review and evaluation and tendering/procurement.
- Excellent communication skills including stakeholder consultation and public presentations.
- Ability to travel within the UK to undertake site visits and stakeholder meetings.
- Membership of a relevant professional body such as IFM, or similar, an advantage.
If you would like to apply for this role please send your CV with a one page covering letter to: email@example.com. No agencies please.