GOGLA Regional Representative for India (new position)
The off-grid lighting and appliances industry has experienced rapid market growth in the last years and provided millions of households living beyond the electrical grid with life transforming access to energy. Despite the industry’s efforts and success, 1.2 billion people still lack basic access to energy. The Global Off-Grid Lighting Association (GOGLA) acts as the industry advocate supporting the industry in growing and strengthening the market for clean, quality off-grid lighting and electrical systems. With its advocacy and communication work, GOGLA seeks to realize international recognition for the benefits of off-grid lighting and sector-wide industry support.
To maintain and strengthen its role as the voice of the industry, GOGLA seeks to appoint a Regional Representative for India.
Location: New Delhi, India
Reporting to: Executive Director
Starting: July 1st 2017 or soonest thereafter
India is – with a distance – the single largest market for the off-grid lighting and appliances industry. In spite of that, it is not nearly meeting its full potential. Markets are very fragmented, highly impacted by government subsidy programmes that boost sales incidentally but overall limit market development and innovation; contrasted by under-regulated commercial markets where fierce competition is stimulating an unhealthy ‘race to the bottom’. While pursuing ambitious energy access targets, proposed government measures fall short of fully leveraging private sector capacities as well. Simultaneously, the industry’s capacity to organize itself remains limited, allowing governments to cherry-pick among the uncoordinated signals they receive. The regional representative will a) help deliver GOGLA’s advocacy messages and sector support activities on a national level and b) will help national level industry actors to improve their coordination and enable industry to speak with a more harmonized and forceful voice. Close cooperation will be sought on all levels with the Clean Energy Access Network (CLEAN).
The responsibilities of the Regional Representative include:
1. Representation of industry interests and advocacy:
- Represent the industry’s interest vis-a-vis all stakeholders, including regular participation in local events and workshops
- Promote national level policy change and develop industry positions in line with GOGLA’s global positions, in close alignment with national industry associations, in particular the Clean Energy Access Network (CLEAN), and other relevant national and regional private sector representatives
- Monitor national level policy environments to obtain warning signals about possibly changes in regulation at an early stage
2. Member coordination:
- Keep regular contact with GOGLA members operating in India, ensuring GOGLA has up-to-date information at all times on its member activities and key market developments
- Coordinate regular meetings and calls to facilitate exchange among GOGLA members
3. Liaise with existing and new partners:
- Contribute to extending the GOGLA stakeholder network
- Deepen and sustain relationships with existing partners
- Develop relationships with important local policy makers and regulators
4. Contribute to the development of ‘content’ for advocacy or sector support work by providing local perspectives on questions around enabling environment, access to finance, business development, and quality assurance
Additional ad-hoc responsibilities include:
- Support in the implementation of GOGLA led events in India
- Support to GOGLA fundraising efforts
- Support the delivery of the three GOGLA programs
The regional representative will formally report to the Executive Director and coordinate its activities closely with the three Program Managers. The position will require regular travel within India and to Utrecht.
- A high level of passion for GOGLA’s mission and objective
- A minimum of five years progressively responsibly experience in the field of international business development; working experience with an industry association is highly desirable; experience in policy and advocacy work is a requirement
- Excellent and proven networking, communication, and presentation skills in English and Hindi; command of other Indian languages is considered an asset
- Strong moderation and coordination skills and ability to facilitate outcome oriented meetings with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to think strategically and analytically, and work creatively
- Ability to communicate professionally and convincingly with counterparts at various levels of seniority
We are the Global Off-Grid Lighting Association; an independent, not-for-profit industry association. We represent eighty plus members as the voice of the off-grid solar energy industry and promote the solutions they offer. We were founded in 2012, borne out of the IFC/World Bank’s Lighting Global program.
Why do what we do? Around 1.2 billion people live without access to electricity; about one in six people on earth. Off-grid energy appliances and services can address this issue, particularly across developing and emerging countries.
GOGLA was created to accelerate access to modern energy, in line with the Sustainable Development Goal 7. We strive to be the voice of the fast-growing sector, representing over eighty companies and organizations within the solar lighting and home electrification industry.
The products and solutions that GOGLA members promote are affordable. They transform lives by improving health and education, creating jobs and income opportunities and helping consumers save money.
How are we doing it? GOGLA’s objective is to help the industry grow quickly but sustainably. We're focusing our efforts on three core barriers to growth of the sector. Here’s an outline of our current global sector supporting programs:
- ‘Mobilizing investment’. Access to finance is a key barrier to market growth. We focus on generating market intelligence and on facilitating dialogue between industry and investors, among others, through targeted events.
- ‘Creating an enabling environment’. This involves advocacy work with national governments and major influencers, helping to shape policy. Part of this includes demonstrating the economic, environmental and social impact of access to clean, modern energy.
- ‘Quality assurance and consumer protection’. We want to ensure that consumers get good and reliable products and services for their money. We’re seeing a trend in low-quality and ‘copycat’ products coming to the market. When such products fail they damage consumer confidence in the technology, so we’re working on consumer protection and on promoting globally harmonized minimum quality standards. We also seek to ensure products can be serviced, and are handled responsibly, both environmentally and socially, from production to the end of their life.
For more information, please visit www.gogla.org.
To apply, please visit the GOGLA Homerun Career Site or click on "Apply for this Job" below. Please note that both a CV and a covering letter are required.