Job Title: Maintenance Engineer / Assistant Manager - MRF - Sheffield - up to £35k
Our client is one of the UK's leading Waste management specialist and as such are seeking an experienced Engineer to join their Sheffield based Recycling Plant. With a growing focus on Recycling and the Circular Economy this is proving to be one of the fastest growing sectors in the UK, offering both secure & lengthy careers. This role would suit an established hands-on Manager or an Engineer looking to take his first steps up the management ladder.
About the role:
Based on an established paper and card recycling plant your role will be to maximise through-put of the facility by managing the day to day operations and maintenance of the plant and all operational staff. Having worked in an engineering environment in the past you will help plan the preventative maintenance requirements and play an active part in manage the people and activities on a day to day basis.
With a small team of 15 direct reports working under you, including operators, pickers and machine drivers you will need to demonstrate strong leadership and engineer skills, with a firm focus on plant performance itself.
With such a small team, you will need to demonstrate a hands-on approach, not only organising the operational team but also helping in the servicing and maintenance duties on the plant itself, which will include plant greasing, belt maintenance, general PPM and scheduled deep cleanses.
You will be working or a range of kit including conveyors, separators, balers, shredders, compressors and other specialist recycling plant so an understanding of the recycling sector and equipment used would be desirable. Your will also overseeing the sub-contractors on site and this will include writing permits, providing H&S inductions and monitoring their work.
Your principle responsibilities will include:
- Prevent plant breakdowns by ensuring the planned preventative maintenance (PPM) is carried out, ensuring that the risk of downtime is kept to a minimum ultimately maximising profit and revenue. Carry out planned and breakdown maintenance on a variety of plant and apparatus including Conveyors, baling equipment, Low Voltage equipment, motors, gearbox, mechanical drives, material handling equipment, plant auxiliaries, hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanical and optical, magnetic and Eddy current separation technology etc. Knowledge & experience of working with mobile plant is also required.
- Planning and scheduling all of maintenance aspects of the MRF, minimising disruption to operations and maximising uptime and availability.
- Strong commercial understanding with regards the maintenance budget, expenditure and P&L account.
- Responsible for the health and safety of all direct reports, where applicable, ensuring inductions are completed and all Health & Safety procedures are adhered to.
- Control on-site maintenance sub-contractors, including all safety procedures and work schedules. Checking the method statements of the contractors before they are permitted to carry out any work and ensuring site inductions and regular monitoring is carried out.
To be considered you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Experience in a MRF processing manufacturing, production industry is desirable but not essential.
- Experience of hydraulics, pneumatics and material handling equipment is desirable.
- Application of Electrical and Mechanical Safety Systems and Standards, Health and Safety Legislation including PUWER, Electricity at Work Regulations and CDM Regulations.
- Appreciation of waste industry and processes.
- IOSH and COTC preferred.
- Understanding of Maintenance strategy tools, knowledge of planned preventative maintenance procedures and project management.
- Proven experience of working at a high level and be fully conversant with material handling equipment, preferably within the recycling environment.
- Experienced with Conveyors, baling equipment, Low Voltage equipment, motors, material handling equipment, plant auxiliaries, hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanical and optical separation, magnetic and Eddy current separation technology.
- A number of years practical experience in maintenance within a process industry, preferably gained in a recycling environment.
- City and Guilds, Advanced craft, NVQ level 3 or BTEC ONC in Engineering. Plus formal qualification in maintenance, recognised formal apprenticeship, background and training in Electrical engineering is essential.
What's in it for you:
Often considered the UK's leading Waste and Resource Management specialist our client can offer first class training and career progression opportunities, a competitive salary and package, annual reviews and succession planning, all of which combined to make this an excellent opportunity for either an experienced Manager, or an Engineer looking for the next step up on the career ladder.
Astute Technical Recruitment Limited are acting as an employment agency in relation to this vacancy. We do not discriminate on the grounds of age, race, gender, disability, creed or sexual orientation and comply with all relevant UK legislation. We encourage applications from individuals from all backgrounds but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to work in the UK.