The STA is the most influential UK solar trade body with an exceptional and proven track record of winning breakthroughs for the UK's solar industry. We represent both the solar photovoltaic and the solar thermal hot water heating industries.
ThePolicy Manager will have overall responsibility for solar policy. The role will ensure liaising and coordinating the policy objectives from a diverse group of companies representing the STA membership. With managerial responsibility for 2 policy staff, this is an exceptional opportunity to work at the heart of the UK solar sector and develop a forward looking policy strategy that influences the changes needed within the UK's energy sector. You must be adept at working in a fast-paced environment and apply your experience across a wide range of functions, working within a small and committed team. You will have a proven track record of winning results from previous roles, preferably from within clean energy or sustainability sectors. This is an exciting role for someone who shares our passion to see solar move further into the mainstream of energy generation in the UK.
Duties & Responsibilities
To manage the STA policy activities under the strategic guidance and leadership of the executive strategy group. The below list gives an indication of the areas of responsibility that are currently envisioned for this role.
- Responsibility for setting and coordinating the policy objectives for the STA membership by:
- Regular and timely engagement with the membership and wider stakeholders
- Representing the STA through regular meetings with Government officials such as BEIS, Ofgem, HMT, CLG
- Ensuring all relevant consultations impacting solar are responded to
- Ensuring STA policy has a strategic focus within the wider UK energy strategy
- Ensuring delivery of policy information for communications team
- Service members' requests for policy and technical information
- Ensure financial modelling and analytical support for the STA team is met
- Help set strategic direction of STA, considering objectives of the solar industry
- Develop STA policy positions on wider non-solar specific areas such as storage, Renewable Energy Directive and the Levy Control Framework
- Line management responsibility for Project Analyst and Policy Analyst
- Close liaison with Communications, Public and External Affairs team
- Chairing the Policy task force, plus coordinating and facilitating other STA working groups
- Represent the STA at stakeholder meetings and events
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum 2.1 in a relevant graduate degree
- Minimum 3 years' policy experience within the clean energy or sustainability sector
- Very strong numeracy, analytical and spreadsheet skills
- Excellent verbal and written communicator with ability to translate complex issues for non-experts
- Evidence of ability to multi-task within and across different functions
- Previous line management experience
- Completer/finisher - excellent time management skill
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Passionate about solar energy and the future of the solar industry
- Masters qualification in a relevant subject
- Confidence navigating and constructing economic models in Excel
- Detailed knowledge of solar policy in the UK
This is a full-time position, and will report to the CEO. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to do a written exercise. Please apply with a one page covering letter setting out why you are an ideal candidate for this job and a two page CV.