The Engineering & Construction team span the entire life-cycle of each lagoon project from site origination, design feasibility, basis of design to inform the Environmental Impact Assessment and support the Planning Application, to conceptual design to inform the project procurement process, to detailed design to inform the final contracting terms with our supply chain, through the design and build delivery phase of construction and commissioning, then the 120 years operations phase and finally the decommissioning phase.
The Engineering & Construction team comprises Marine and Coastal Engineers, Civil and Structural Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical, Power Systems and Grid Engineers, Numerical Modellers, Construction Project Managers, Health, Safety and Wellbeing professionals, Project Governance and Controls professionals, Commercial and Procurement Managers, Asset Assurance experts and Asset Management and Operations & Maintenance Managers.
The team operates within a matrix structure so that the depth of experience across the team supports each of the tidal lagoon projects. This ensures that lessons learnt are captured from one project to the next.
Purpose of the role:
The TLP numerical modelling team develops and runs energy and hydrodynamic models. Internal customers include engineers (supporting design), projects developers and economics analysts. Services are brought in-house when it is significantly cheaper, or where there is value in creating and owning IP to give competitive advantage.
A recent business needs analysis has highlighted an opportunity for an in-house CFD modelling capability, not least to support detailed engineering design activities.
The role of the Senior CFD modeller is to lead the development and implementation of this new service within TLP. Your responsibilities will include an initial software selection exercise, a similar exercise for hardware to run the CFD models on, and then creating and running of CFD models as required by the business. Whilst team leading is not required at this stage, it is preferable that this potential be demonstrated.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities:
Key responsibilities are:
- Software evaluation
- Specification of hardware (or HPC services) to support running of CFD models within acceptable timeframes
- Capture user requirements, and be able to translate these into technical solutions.
- Develop, maintain, enhance and run CFD models
- Maintain a good working relation with the internal customers, the modelling team, consultants, contractors and external stakeholders
- Provide expert advice (internally and externally) as required.
Manage procurement of services (including contract negotiation)
Skills, capabilities & knowledge:
The successful candidates will be required to demonstrate that they have the following capabilities:
- Positive and passionate and striving for excellence
- Be an effective communicator; clear, concise and frequent – at all levels within an organisation
- Display interpersonal skills like building and maintaining positive relationships
- Be flexible and have the willingness and ability to change in response to business needs
- Have knowledge of the company’s strategy and industry
- Have analytical skills to think through problems and decisions
- Be result-oriented, work efficiently and effectively
- A proven ability as a self-starter
- Excellent IT and communication skills including report writing, presentation and the ability to speak confidently with, consultants, contractors and stakeholders
- The ability to manage workload and meet demanding timescales on a number of aspects of the project simultaneously
Knowledge & skills required:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline (Applied Maths/Computer Science/Physics/Engineering) and significant experience working in relevant CFD modelling
- Technical skills – Ansys CFD (Flo); Matlab and 2D shallow ocean hydrodynamic modelling desirable (ideally with Delft3D)
- Team-leading potential
- Strong technical, communication and creative skills
- Team player capable of working flexibly, closely and cooperatively with colleagues across all aspects of the company’s business
The role will require some travel within the UK and abroad.
If you would like to apply for this role please send your CV with a one page covering lette to: email@example.com. No agencies please.