Technical Author/Writer, Livingstone, Scotland
Intelligent Employment are recruiting for a Technical Author/Writer to support the writing and storage of technical documentation used internally. You will be familiar with taking complex technical information (from physical inspection, verbal description or from existing documents) and writing clear checklists, processes, guidance and supporting drawings and diagrams. Critical to the role will be your ability to work very closely with the R&D and technical team and your ability to drive through the formal requirements.
You will be responsible for writing and storing technical documentation and will be working across the business. Responsibilities will include;
- Collaborating with subject matter experts, developers and managers to clarify requirements, gather and analyse information and present in a format suitable for the end user internally.
- Writing and storing the superset of documentation required as part of the effective execution of the duties of all members of the R&D and Implementation teams. This will involve starting from scratch for some documents.
- Writing and storing documents including (but not limited to): commissioning and testing checklists and instructions, product validation processes and reports, operating manuals, maintenance manuals, user guides, training manuals and design documentation (including electrical, software & mechanical) - in a way that is easy to understand.
- Take a proactive approach to questioning the team to gain the information required to a detailed level, including understanding and documenting both the instructions for an action and the impact of it.
- Integrating the relevant aspects of third-party suppliers’ documentation into these materials.
- Integrating health and safety considerations in the documentation.
- Storing the documents created in line with the existing organisation, including version control, and agreeing with the team how the documents will be updated.
- Supporting the engineering team on their documentation.
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required.
We would like to hear from you if you meet the following requirements:
- Exceptional grasp of written English, with the ability to provide proof of past written works; particularly the ability to take complex, technical information and write clearly, accurately and concisely (both instructions and impact of doing so)
- Enthusiasm and motivation to see a project through to completion
- Minimum 5-years of experience
- Qualifications (HND or degree) in an engineering discipline
- Previous experience in a Technical Writer role (or equivalent) and knowledge of industry standards for documentation
- The ability to demonstrate knowledge, interest and understanding of your audience, and how to write guidance which serves them
- Strong active listening skills will be required to capture the information necessary and interviewing skills to know which follow-up questions need to be answered.
- Critical Thinking: Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Teamwork: Must be able to work well with others in the business
- Excellent IT skills, including Microsoft Office
- Right to work in E.U.
- 25 days’ holiday + 9 public holidays
- Pension contribution following probation
- Life Assurance and Group Income Protection
Our client is an Energy Storage company that is headquartered in the U.K. and with the feel of a start-up but a unique perspective in the market with over 10 years at the forefront of technology research.